This Sunday 18 May is World Baking Day and to take part, visit their site and make a pledge to bake for someone in your life to let them know how special they are. My pledge for world baking day is to bake for all of you beautiful people, my readers. It’s you guys who make this possible!
I decided to go back to basics for this day. Sometimes simple is the most beautiful! I made vanilla cupcakes with a vanilla buttercream. I wanted to find the absolute best vanilla cupcake, so I went about doing some Googling and came across this vanilla cupcake experiment. I decided to go with the adaptation of Ina Garten’s coconut cupcakes. I got the buttercream recipe from Cooking Classy.
They are DELICIOUS! The cupcakes have a delicious vanilla flavour and are light and moist and perfect. They produce a beautiful rounded top, but don’t overflow the liners. So not only do they taste delicious, they look beautiful too!
Make sure you enter my giveaway at the bottom of this post. You could be in line to win a copy of the beautiful Vintage Cakes recipe book by Julie Richardson!
Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream
- 340g Unsalted butter
- 2 cups Sugar
- 5 Extra-large eggs
- 1 tbsp Vanilla essence/extract
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 340g Butter, at room temperature (I used half salted, half unsalted)
- 4 1/2 cups Icing sugar
- 4 tbsp Cream
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence/extract
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 160C (325F) and line a cupcake tin with liners.
- Cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy (5 minutes).
- Change your mixer speed to low and add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the dry ingredient to the batter in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix only until just combined.
- Fill each liner to 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
For the Buttercream
- Whip the butter on a medium-high speed until nearly white and very fluffy (7-8 minutes). Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl frequently.
- Change the mixer to low speed and add in the sugar, cream and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Ice your cupcakes and enjoy!