OMG I can’t believe I haven’t shared these with you! I was wandering through my image archive this week and stumbled across them. They’re perfect for an easy summer weekend bake!
A crisp, flaky shortbread crust topped with a light and refreshing lemon topping. The recipe seems quite long, but it really isn’t: you make a really simple shortbread crust of flour butter and sugar. While that’s baking you make the filling. Pour the filling onto the warm crust and bake a bit longer. Et voilà!
Simple, classic, but oh so addictive! I just couldn’t stop myself going back for just one more…
- 113g Unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup Flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large Eggs
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1tsp Lemon zest
- 3tbsp Flour
- ¼ cup Lemon juice (squeeze it fresh!)
For the Shortbread Crust
- Place the oven rack in the upper third of your oven and preheat to 180C.
- Grease a 20cm x 20cm baking tin with butter and line with baking paper that overhangs the sides slightly.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes), stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Add the flour and salt and beat on low until it is incorporated. Your mixture will be very crumbly here and may not come together at all. Don’t worry, it’ll be fine!
- Put the dough in the baking tin an press into a nice flat layer, making sure to press into the corners as well.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until just browned around the edges.
For the Lemon Topping
- Once you’ve put the base in the oven, start making the topping.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined and slightly thickened. They will look nice and pale in colour.
- Add the flour, lemon juice and zest and whisk until combined.
- Your crust should be done about now. Pour your lemon topping over the warm crust and return to the oven for a further 18-20 minutes. The lemon topping should not jiggle in the centre.
- Allow to cool.
- Use the baking paper to lift the squares from the tin. Separate the bars from the paper with a sharp knife.
- Slice and sprinkle with some icing sugar. Enjoy!